December 13, 2010

I hope all is going well!!
Unfortunately I don't have as much time as usually because the Internet is going on and off in the Library today. As for me here in the Mission field.... There were some really interesting things that happened this week. For one I went on Two exchanges, one with my District Leader, and one with the Assistants to the President. I learned so much from both of them in how to work more lovingly with those we meet on the streets, but also to be very persistent in the right way.
Truly we need to relate to those we speak with and show we care and then show we care even more by sharing the gospel. Just having some random teenagers dressed all nice telling you some random stuff you have never thought about before would not be on the top of my to do list either. Basically I learned to become real quick friends with those I contact. At least i try. Some don't want new friends if you know what i mean. :)
Some of the funniest experiences I have are the ones where I start talking to someone and they say something super absurd back. For example, I saw this little old lady walking with a rolled up umbrella on the street. So I went to go talk to her and in the nicest and least threatening way possible I asked her how she was doing and that we were sharing a message. She turned to me, and while shaking her umbrella at me she yelled, "You shouldn't go around accosting people on the streets young man!!" haha, picture that one if you will. :) Those kind of experiences happen somewhat often and it is hilarious and sad at the same time.
One more experience I wanted to share with you that was somewhat interesting. While on exchange with the AP's we were street contacting. I went up to a man and started talking to him and right away he went off about how his girlfriend of 5 years had just passed away. He went on to tell me his whole soul and feelings and then I asked if we could come teach him right now. He accepted. Later I found out a little of why he accepted so readily. He was slightly drunk.
When we got to his house his friend was there smoking and drinking, and it smelt really bad. Unfortunately I had the opportunity to sit next to him and throughout the course of the lesson I almost threw up multiple times. Later we found out that they were both drunk, so it was very hard to teach. But we did set up a return appointment and told them to throw away their alcohol and cigarettes. They both said they knew they should, but that it was just so hard. Too hard in fact. We still have not had the opportunity to meet with them again, but one said he is coming to church. We will see if he does.
The last really great thing I wanted to tell you was that we have 2 baptisms this Saturday and one of our investigators asked me if I would baptize him. Lets just say that I am super excited and somewhat nervous for this opportunity and responsibility. I didn't think I would have this opportunity so soon on my mission and I am very grateful for it. He is a Chinese student age 19 who speaks mediocre English. I love him so much, he has such an amazing attitude and desire to know for himself. He accepted all his commitments to keep the commandments and really read and asked questions about the BOM.
Over the month I have been here in England I have come to know more of why I am here specifically Chinese speaking. It is hard and I need to improve on a lot. But I do know I am here for a reason. I can't wait until I am done being trained and can be put solely to work focusing on the Chinese Population. I love them and feel the obligation to help them learn and grow as much as possible in both the Gospel and their personal lives here in England.
I want you to know how much I love you all, thank you for all your love and support.
I love you, have a great week, and remember why we celebrate this time of year!!
Elder Fawcett

No comments:

Post a Comment