March 28, 2011

I have come to love listening to talks and lessons given by inspired leaders of the church. Recently I have come to realize how much I have missed in the past when either General Conference has come by or other firesides by the church have been given. In the MTC I remember I absolutely loved General Conference so much more than I ever had, and if you can believe it I am even more excited for this time around. Though the opportunity to sing was a once in a lifetime event that I will never forget. General Conference as a missionary is so much more different and quite eye opening. It seems that every single talk was written for you to hear for some reason or another. Another one of those mission experiences that you just can't get anywhere else.

This week we had Zone Conference and I was able to learn many valuable lessons and enjoy a training on the Apostasy and Restoration. I can't really explain it now, but it blew my mind to a certain extent of how true our church is. :) When I come back I can show you more about it. A lesson that I learned was given by Sister Bullock. She only spoke for about three minutes at the time, but she talked about how we as children of God and especially as members of the church are responsible for the talents and abilities that we have that we have been given by God. Elder Boswell also commented later on how we are given those talents for the reason of building up Gods Kingdom on the earth. The law of consecration when given was not only speaking about our possessions, but also what we have inside of us. It is giving our whole.  I have been pondering a lot recently on what I am doing here on a mission and how I can best change to grow and help others come unto Christ. I have been too hesitant with my talents and have not used them to my full capacity because of fear of one thing or another. I am looking to become better at seeing God during my day and being accountable for opportunities and talents I have been given.

Yesterday I was able to learn first hand the importance of doing everything that you can to get investigators to church. The whole of Sundady morning Elder Chan and I were running around trying to figure out how to get our investigators along with some recent converts to church because of some plans that had fallen through. By the time church came around we were able to get everyone planned on to church but I felt like we had not been productive in our time that morning. Later one of the investigators was talking to me and said something about church had helped him realize more of what we as a church and our teachings are about. I realized that the power of the spirit at church is very important for our investigators individual spiritual growth. The whole morning running around was not only worth it, but completely necessary in order to help this investigator build his own testimony. Once again, I am thankful for inspired leaders who give us instructions and promised blessings if we then follow those instructions.

Recently we have been working with an investigator with the name of Sun Wei Di. He is a student from China and is very open and willing to learn more of what we share. A couple of days ago he explained something to me that I had already known but realized how important it is for my missionary work. He was explaining that no Chinese people have a belief in God because it has never been any part of there life. If anything they have been told all there life that God does not exist and YOU are the only one that can do ANYTHING with your life.

He explained that he just like all the other Chinese had a problem with believing in God. It has been so frustrating for me not to be able to simply take my knowledge from my head and transfer it to his. These people have no concept of God and don't know how to even start believing in him. Luckily Sun is open minded and very willing to meet with us to TRY and see if there is a God. He has read to the end of 2nd Nephi and prays every night, in other words he is very willing and has the desire. I would ask you as a family to pray for Sun to be able to recieve the spiritual confirmation needed for him to gain a testimony. I hope that as he comes to General Conference he will once again be able to feel the spirit and know that there is something special about the Prophet and the Apostles. In other words, that they are called of God.

Sun is amazing, we watched the first half of Testaments with him for a lesson and talked about faith. We then left him a commitment to finish it before we came the next day. He not only did that but started it from the beginning and watched it all the way through to understand it more fully. When we asked him about it, he said that he really liked the movie and that the end was amazing. He loved it saying that he felt so happy and good after watching it. If you remember the end, it is when Christ appears to the Nephites and heals Jacobs father. Sun had felt what we call the spirit. Now I believe all we have to do is help him realize that that is what it was. :)

There is not much more to report from this week except I played cricket for the first time last P-day. (very strange and complicated sport but very fun). It was a great opportunity to bond with two of the Zone Leaders recent converts from India and Pakistan. (They love Cricket). I am so thoroughly convinced that this is the greatest work you can do. The light you see come into peoples eyes is just miraculous and moving. From knowing nothing of Jesus Christ and God to knowing that they are here for a reason now following a plan of happiness is amazing. I love my mission. Despite the lack of progress in my chinese at the moment (my fault) I feel very fulfilled in what I am doing here. I have a long ways to go before I truely become a sacred missionary, but I know that through diligence and obedience it is possible.

I love you family and I hope that this next week goes very well. Remember who you are and what you stand for. From your baptismal covenant you promised to always remember him. Let us do that by the way we act and live our lives. Keep yourselves seperate from the world in the right way.

Love you,

Elder Fawcett

No comments:

Post a Comment