November 7, 2011

This week has been one huge Roller-Coaster, when Elder Esposito told me again on Sunday night that he felt it better to go to Milan I thought that this was the final decision. Then on Monday he had somewhat changed his mind again. Somewhat. He still wanted to speak to President Preston in person. And guess what, three hours later, unexpectedly, he was sitting in our flat telling us what was about to happen that would completely change everything for us. We were told that for a number of reasons we would be having an "emergency transfer." The Assistants will be getting a proselyting area next transfer and it is going to be our area. So they are taking our flat which means we needed to go somewhere. Along with that, Elder Esposito was told that he would be leaving to Newtown to be with another Italian Missionary named Elder Gionotti. I was told that Elder Cai would be with me for the next two weeks and that after that I would be leaving. Where to he wouldn't tell me. :( I think Elder Esposito was so shocked to hear the news and that he was going to Newtown so soon with Elder Gionotti that he completely forgot about his desire to go to Milan. Needless to say, I am grateful that he is in good hands and is still in the mission with another missionary who can really help him with the trials he is going through now.

So in the past 4 days I have changed companions, changed flats, and in a week I will change areas. Woohoo... I am not the biggest fan of change, but like President Preston told me, "Elder Fawcett, the Lord is in it, this is happening for a reason. Now I am staying in a Flat with the Zone Leaders (Elder Merl and Elder Holman, both of which I love very much), and two other elders. So six elders in one flat has been crazy. Unfortunately we are forever away from the university area which is very inconvenient because all of our appointments are there. Elder Cai is amazing and he is growing on me. He is different and has a very interesting personality. He was born in China and lived there until he was 10 1/2 then moved to a "very Holy City" call Las Vegas. He actually kind of knows my best friend from Uni. Jeff Mecham. He can speak fluent English, Mandarin and almost fluent Cantonese. So he is a very useful and talented weapon of a missionary. We are both very opinionated people and so sometimes we just have to respect each others views and move on.

I was grateful to be able to attend New Missionaries Training camp this past Thursday because it taught me many good principles and reminded me a lot of the aspects of missionary work I need to improve on. As well it made me think back to the time that I was at Training camp almost a year ago and all of the principles I have learned and the way I have changed as a missionary. Growth feels good and I am looking forward to that continued growth here in the next year as well. I feel that this past transfer has helped me to grow much in two ways. I have gained greater patience when it comes to helping another person less fortunate than myself and as well how to truly serve those that are in need. Service is the key to becoming what our Heavenly Father wants us to become. Christ spent his whole life being an example of service, so to become like him we need to learn to do the same.

This past week I enjoyed the time I had with Elder Boswell on our Assistants Exchange. Elder Boswell to me is a close friend and a missionary that I truly look up to and I admire his many talents and abilities. Something that I love about Elder Boswell and my relationship is that we are both very similar. We both like to be straightforward and to the point and to get things done the right way the first time. At the same time we know that we can't be right to everyone all the time and so we are open for each others suggestions. Something that He helped me to learn by giving me a commitment was how to show sincerity for those we speak to by giving them a simple but true compliment. It has helped me to look for the good in people and find the positives. I have also appreciated the past four days with Elder Cai and look forward to the 10 days to learn from him. He is a very talented missionary who loves to work hard and help others. He is always looking for those that are prepared right now to hear the Gospel. Even though we disagree sometimes on some points we both respect each other and the opinions shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment